In addition to hardware, I collect paper money. It's also costly and hard to tell friends about. :)

I've learned a lot about Korean paper money from the Bank of Korea website and the one reference book American collectors rely on for "any paper money which isn't American". I want to learn more, the stories which can only be told from inside the country. A country's money says a lot about its values and tastes.

* The BoK site says that the first type of 10 won note was only in circulation for like 3 months. Did they mean it as a "short-term" issue while the second series was made? Heavy counterfeiting drove it out? It clearly has a story.  

* Are the old notes ever seen anymore? In the US, most notes have had few designs-- one from 1928 to the 1990s, one from the 1990s to the mid 2000s, and a new one, and new people sign them every few years. Nobody actively removes the old notes, so occasionally, you'll see a $100 from 1977, or a $20 from 1934 or 1950.

The designs are so different on Korean notes, if you try to spend a 1st series 1000, or a 500, do the clerks recognize them?

* What rarities should I look for? American sellers don't really get non-American money, so I suspect they may mis-categorize notes. I recently saw a 5th series 10,000 labelled as 4th-series.